Period: c. 1890s - early 1900s late/post Victorian
Maker: The ring is stamped with a closed fist clenching two crossing arrows. We believe this to be the mark of Shafer & Douglas, established c. 1855 by Joseph H. Shafer. The firm was initially called Shafer & Swinerton from 1855 to 1869, at which point Mr. Swinerton retired and Frederick S. Douglas stepped in. The jewelry house was then renamed to Shafer & Douglas. The business was incorporated after Joseph Douglas' death in 1899. His son, W.E. Shafer, stepped into the firm in 1904. The shop initially crafted jewelry of various types but, after the founder’s death, the firm dedicated itself to the design and fabrication of rings only. The company's pieces were widely regarded for their detailed patterning and architecture, aesthetic elements that are displayed by this ring. The last known listing from Shafer & Douglas was 1922.
Materials: approx. 9K rose gold basket; approx. 14K rose gold shank; diamond
Size: 6 1/2 (free sizing)
Dimensions: the ring measures approx. 8.35 mm wide across the top north to south; the ring stands 4.40 mm tall above the finger
Diamond: GIA-assessed (GIA eReport) 1.14 carat Old European Cut diamond with N (Very Light Brown) color and SI2 clarity