Sold Out $ 4,000.00
Period: c. 1890s-early 1900s late/post Victorian
Materials: 14K gold; diamonds
Maker: The ring is stamped with what appears to be a closed fist clenching two crossing arrows. We believe this to be the mark of Shafer & Douglas, established c. 1855 by Joseph H. Shafer. The firm was initially called Shafer & Swinerton from 1855 to 1869, at which point Mr. Swinerton retired and Frederick S. Douglas stepped in. The jewelry house was then renamed to Shafer & Douglas. Joseph Douglas died in 1899, at which point the business was incorporated. His son, W.E. Shafer, stepped into the firm in 1904. The jewelry house made jewelry of various types but, after the founder’s death, the firm dedicated itself to the design and fabrication of rings only. The firm's pieces were widely regarded for their detailed patterning and architecture. The last known listing from Shafer & Douglas was 1922.
Dimensions: 4.50 mm wide across the top north to south; the ring stands 3.25 mm tall above the finger
Size: 5 (free sizing)
Diamonds: 1.30 - 1.40 ctw., est.; five Old Mine Cut diamonds; near colorless and approx. VS to SI clarity overall